Growing up is important and scary and necessary and magic !
The process and pleasure of coming to an age of responsibility is a rite of passage that we believe should be celebrated universally.
The Coming of Age Project is facilitated by ‘Emerge – The Foundation’, a community interest company. ‘Emerge – The Foundation’ has been set up to promote the concept and practice of coming of age to as many children and communities as possible.
The process for 13-16 year olds includes personal development courses and guidance, followed by a test to demonstrate maturity and self-reliance and a tailored ceremony recognised, supported and attended by the community.
The Coming of Age Project is currently focusing on:
- three pilot initiatives (north east england, north glasgow, a scottish island)
- facilitating and recording a ceremony for promotional purposes
- general promotion of the concept
- partners, sponsors and funding
- two 15 and three quarter year olds (one female, one male) to fast track to a coming of age ceremony and celebration (to be recorded to promote the project)
- a volunteer project manager/administrator